Thursday 23 November 2017

November 23, 2017 :: Today's Words: 1,479 :: Total Words: 25,569

She looked around but there was nothing new in the cabin. She stood up and found that the closer she got to the window, the stronger the lemon scent was. Finally she figured out that it was the sunbeams shining in through the window.

Somehow the smell got her motivated to clean out the trunk at the foot of her bed. She dug through all of the items in it, settling them into piles of things to keep and things to get rid of. Then she re-packed the trunk carefully, making sure that everything was set so that nothing would break.

She picked up the trash and carried it outside. The sun outside smelled like lemons. She put everything into her trash barrel for burning and started the fire.

Your character has won a vacation to Polaris Australis, to visit a temple of Ares.

Fred stared blankly at his e-mail. Someone was obviously having a laugh at his expense.

Supposedly he’d won a trip to Polaris Australis (the south pole star), to visit a temple of Ares.

Nobody lived at the South Pole, he knew that. So it was highly unlikely that there would be a temple to Ares there.

He sighed and deleted the message.

A new character arrives, wearing a resolution blue piece of clothing, and carrying a nice toasty fire with marshmallows.

The hand slapped a photo of a camp fire with marshmallows being toasted over it against the window of his cell door. Achird stood up and called out, “What do you need?”

The guard who entered was wearing the typical resolution blue uniform of the prison. He stopped in the doorway and frowned.

“Achird.”

“Yes?” he asked impatiently. This was highly unusual.

“You need to come with me.”

“What for?”

“Safety and freedom,” said the guard.

Achird went to his desk and retrieved his holy book. The photo had been part of the code; the phrase was the rest.

He would go with the guard.

Your character loses their prized possession: Adam Levine. How do they react?

Sophie sat on her bed, reading the script for the Christmas play at school. It was a normal kind of Christmas play for a public school, and each class was doing a play and a couple of songs. She was going to be Mrs Claus.

She was halfway through the page when she thought it might be helpful to act it out with her Barbie dolls.

She went over to her toy shelf and pulled out the Barbie bin.

A few moments later, she was scouring her room, pulling everything out from under the bed, and trying to climb up into her closet to check the top shelf.

Her mother came into the room to see what all the noise was about. “Sophie, what is going on?”

Sophie stopped jumping and turned to face her mother. “I’m trying to find Adam Levine.”

“Adam Levine?”

“Yes, you remember, the rock star Ken doll? I named him Adam Levine, like the singer from Maroon 5.”

“Oh, Adam Levine.” Her mother nodded and looked around the room. “I haven’t seen him, and you are demolishing your room.”

“I’m just trying to check the closet shelf, then I’ll put everything away, I promise,” said Sophie.

Her mother reached up and pulled down the boxes from the top shelf in the closet, then took a quick scan of the shelf herself. “There’s nothing else up here, honey.”

Sophie dug through the boxes and found nothing. Her mother put them back on the shelf. “I’m sorry you didn’t find him,” she said.

Sophie sighed and began putting her room back together. “Maybe he’s in the play room or something,” she said.

“You can look there once you’ve finished tidying up your bedroom.”

Sophie nodded. “Okay, thanks, Mom.”

Her mother left the room, closing the door behind her. Sophie continued working on her room.

Introduce a character who worships Thanatos.

Back in Eritrea, Florian was nursing his bruised face in the hotel restaurant when a young woman approached his table. She smiled and bobbed her head in greeting.

“You’ll forgive me if I don’t smile back,” he said wryly.

The woman sat down across from him. “I am Sesuna,” she said softly. “Thanatos has sent me.”

Florian raised an eyebrow. “Thanatos?”

She nodded. “Yes, the god of death. He has told me to seek you out and offer my services.”

“What services do you offer?”

“Those that serve my master.”

“And you master is…”

“Thanatos.”

“Of course, of course,” he said, nodding. “Tell me more.”

“I am an experienced assassin,” she explained. “I can track people and kill them. Any people.”

“Even spies?”

“I tracked you.”

“I’m not really a spy.” Florian took a sip of water. “I’m more a hired thug. I do what I’m told, what I’m paid to do. The people I’m after, they’re spies.”

“You have encountered them before.”

“Not all of them.”

“I see.”

Florian shrugged. “If you want to come with me, or if you want to help me deal with all of them, you’re more than welcome.”

She inclined her head. “This is acceptable to Thanatos. We will begin tomorrow. Be ready.”

She left before Florian could ask where to meet her, or even when, and he sighed. Intrigue was one thing; this was baffling.

A new character arrives, wearing a taupe piece of clothing, and carrying a NaNoWriMo sweatshirt.

Timothy, Lila, and Sophie were at the library doing their homework when they saw a woman come in with a German shepherd dog.

“Aren’t dogs not allowed?” Timothy asked.

“This one’s a service dog,” said Lila. “It’s wearing a vest.”

“But she isn’t blind,” said Sophie.

“Not all service dogs are guide dogs, silly,” said Lila. She got up and went over to the lady. The other two followed close behind.

The lady was wearing taupe pants and white and black running shoes, and she was holding a t-shirt in her hand.

“Excuse me,” said Lila, “we were wondering if we could ask you some questions.”

The lady turned to them and smiled. She was wearing glasses and her shoulder-length black hair was loose around her face. “Sure, but I might not answer.”

Lila smiled back. “I’m Lila, and this is Timothy and Sophie. We were wondering what kind of service dog you have.”

“Oh, well, I’m Josie, and this is Kaylee. Kaylee is a mobility dog. She helps me get around when I’m having trouble walking.”

“Why do you have trouble walking?” asked Timothy, and Sophie elbowed him in the gut.

Josie smiled again. “I have cerebral palsy. That means that when I was born, something happened that damaged my brain, and it made it so some things don’t work quite right. Like my legs.”

The children looked at Josie’s legs and then at the dog, who was sitting patiently nearby.

“Would you like to pet Kaylee?” Josie asked.

The children all nodded enthusiastically.

“Just one moment, okay?” Josie said. She ran through some commands with Kaylee, then turned to the children. “Okay, you can pet her now. Just for a little while, though.”

The children crowded around the dog and started petting her. Josie completed her business at the desk—she was booking a room for something—and then dropped the t-shirt she was holding.

Sophie picked it up. The t-shirt was bright blue and very soft. It had white writing on it. She handed it back to Josie. “What does it say?”

Josie opened up the shirt and showed her the front and the back. “I’m a Municipal Liaison for NaNoWriMo,” she said. “Do you know what NaNoWriMo is?”

Sophie shook her head.

“It’s a writing challenge. Every year in November, a bunch of people all over the world try to write a whole novel in one month. It’s called National Novel Writing Month, or NaNoWriMo for short. I organize events for the people here in Calgary who are writing novels. It’s a lot of fun.”

The other two stood up and stared at Josie. “You write novels every year?” asked Timothy.

“I sure do.” Josie reached into her purse and pulled out a little card. “Here, get your parents to help you look it up. There’s a version for kids that you can do called the Young Writers’ Program. You can talk to your teachers about it and maybe your whole class can do it at school!”

Timothy took the card and looked at it. It said Josie’s name and gave an e-mail address and a web site address. “Thanks!” he said, putting it in his pocket.

Josie smiled. “No problem.” She leaned over and spoke to Kaylee, and the dog got up. “I’ve got to go now. Thank you for the conversation!”


The children waved and watched as Josie and Kaylee left, then headed back to their table to do more homework.

No comments:

Post a Comment