Friday 17 November 2017

November 17, 2017 :: Today's Words: 507 :: Total Words: 13,715

He crept into the tent and slipped into his cot. Then he reached over and turned on his battery-powered lantern, on the table next to the cot. He held up his treasure and examined it in the lantern light. It was a sphere, about one inch in diameter, and had the face of the goddess carved into the side, with symbols representing her surrounding the face.

Aaron Chambers, I have more for you to do.

“Speak and it will be done, mistress.”

Later, came the response. For now you must rest.

Aaron nodded and turned off the lantern. He tucked the bauble into the pocket of his shirt and rolled over, pulling his blanket up over his shoulder. True morning would come soon, and the camp was supposed to move on to the dig site today.

A new character arrives, wearing a fuchsia piece of clothing, and carrying more chocolate.

Timothy was in the park when he met the girl. She came up behind him and poked him between his shoulder blades.

“What’s your name?” she asked.

He turned around. The girl was about his age. She had freckles and brown hair with pink streaks in it.

“I’m Timothy.”

She smiled. She was missing a couple of teeth in that eight-year-old fashion. “I’m Lila. Nice to meet you, Tim,” she said, and hit his left shoulder with her open hand.

He reached up and rubbed his shoulder with his right hand. “What do you want?”

She shrugged. “You looked interesting. Well, actually, you didn’t. But I’m new here, and I don’t know anybody. So I figured I’d just go up to someone around my age and introduce myself. And you’re the only one here today who’s my age.”

Timothy looked around the park.

She was right. Most of the kids were preschoolers with parents and nannies, and the older people were teenagers or seniors. “Where’d you move from?”

“Somewhere else.”

Timothy frowned. “That’s not an answer.”

“Sure it is.”

He kicked at the ground. “What do you like to do?”

“I like to play video games and read comics, and I have all of the Pirates LEGO sets.”

“Woah.”

She shrugged. “Yeah, well, my parents are divorced and my dad feels guilty. I get lots of cool stuff because of it.”

“I know what you mean, my parents are divorced too.”

“You live with your mom?”

He nodded. “Most of us do, don’t we?”

She smiled. “Yup.”

“So…” Timothy looked around the park again. “The library isn’t too far, wanna go there? It’ll be warm, and sometimes they have free hot chocolate if we’re good.”

“Sounds great, let’s go!” Lila pulled a cell phone out of her pocket and sent a text message.

Timothy’s eyes widened. “You have a cell phone?”

“Yeah, one of those guilt-induced presents. I just texted Mom to let her know where I’ll be if she wants me. So let’s go!”

Timothy nodded and pointed himself in the direction of the library. “Wait ‘til you see their collection of graphic novels. It’s huge!”

No comments:

Post a Comment